Beware the "F" word


When my son was younger he was hyposensitive to temperature. That means he didn't feel heat or cold like the rest of us. In the middle of winter he would just be wearing a thin top and in the heat of summer his warmest coat would often come out. We were told that he would seek out these extremes of temperature because it was the only time he could feel them. His threshold for feeling hot or cold was so low that it took extremes in order to feel them, and just being able to feel something was a pleasurable experience for him. 

On our part as parents, we knew something that he didn't, that extremes of temperature become dangerous to one’s health. 


In our Western culture, fear is marketed and ramped up for people to "feel" something they have become insensitive to. A little fear in the right environment will stop you from doing something stupid. It's the internal check that makes sure your parachute is packed right before you jump out of a plane. 

But fear can easily become dangerous. 

In my minimalist (read 'lazy') version of research, a quick google of "dangers of fear" came up with a huge list of scientific studies into the detriment that fear and anxiety has on a human. 

Society knows the dangers of fear, worry and anxiety are bad, what they don’t realise is how many of us feed into it on a daily basis.

I heard someone say recently that “fear will legitimise anything in order to bring about its own purpose”. In other words, we keep coming up with excuses for why we need to keep filling our minds with negativity.

Watching bad news is written off as “staying informed”. Yes, you may need to be informed, but staying there and watching over and over will feed your fear, not your faith.

Scrolling through endless social media posts is said to be “building social connections”, but research shows it doesn’t do so to any meaningful depth.

So, what do we need to do?


* Be sensitive to what your body and mind are telling you

* Ramp down external sources of fear to restore your natural sensitivities

* Actively seek peace


Anyone can do these, but, like most answers to problems I come across in life, Jesus is the only answer I know that works.

My time with God in worship is when I change my minds focus from myself long enough for God to reveal what my body and mind are doing. His perspective is so much better than my own.

He is the voice inside (conscience) that warns me of situations that I didn’t even realise were detrimental.

He is my peace. Ironically, the place I find the best peace is when I’m marching towards a battle. I know God is on my side and has “prepared a table before me in the presence of my enemies”.

The reason is that fear and faith are opposites and stepping out into something that requires faith means there is no room left for fear.


When God gives you a mission, he also gives you everything you need to accomplish it, but sends with it the warning to avoid fear.

This story plays out time and again in the bible, but my favourite is Joshua when he first takes charge of the Israelites and replaces Moses as leader.

With all the hard work ahead of him of moving to a new land and conquering their enemies, God’s first command is:


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.’

Joshua 1:9 NIVUK


Lastly, and probably most importantly, stay in a place of love with Jesus. If you don’t know what that means, ask God. He’s been waiting for you to ask so that He can show you.


There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

1 John 4:18 NIVUK


Picture: mohamed_hassan/pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hungry

Memory stones

The story where the phones went flat